Monday, September 5, 2011

The Case Against Orange Barrels

I hate orange barrels.  You know, the "state flower of Ohio"?

I don't hate them because they are everywhere.  That's not my issue.

My issue is that they were invented.  Somewhere once upon a time, something like this happened:

"Hey Ted, Jeff and Andy got run over while trying to divert traffic away from potholes.  That's the 45th injury this month.  We gotta come up with another way to do this."
"Hmmm... hey I know!  I have a couple kegs sitting in my garage... what if we painted them orange and put them out on the roads so people would know to move lanes?"

And orange barrels were born.  And someone is sitting pretty with all the cash-money they made... FOR DREAMING UP AN ORANGE BARREL.

So I'm sitting here, trying to think of some really cool, never-done-before technology thing that could rival Apple (especially now that Jobs is gone).  Thinking that that's the way to go.  And SOMEONE invented an orange barrel.  So simple.  Yet they're EVERYWHERE!  (I'm totally not bitter...)

Anywho, I got this book and I'm reading it, and it's telling me that inventions, ideas, etc. don't have to be revolutionary or anything monumental.  They just have to be.  So somehow I related that to posting my drawings here online for your enjoyment/my creative, inspirational outlet.

I don't claim to be awesome.  I don't think I'm bad, either.  All my elementary teachers tried to get me to become an artist.  But I never wanted to do what I love for a living - I was afraid I would hate it eventually, if I took that road.  I took lessons when I was younger.  I remember my teacher becoming frustrated with me whenever it came time to pick out what we would paint that week... I'd always pick out a picture of a dog.  "Mollie, you need to branch out; to learn how to draw landscapes and people," he'd say.  I'd cave, and I'd hate how they turned out.  But now I'm older and I can appreciate that my artistic ability is limited to animals - and I call that my niche.

So without further ado, here are some of my better(?) drawings.  My medium?  A trusty sketchbook and a pencil - colored pencils if I'm feeling adventurous.  Sometimes they are fully completed, sometimes they never are.  Enjoy.  (Warning... I love dalmatians)


Pongo 

Lucky


This is from Fall Out Boy's album artwork for Folie a Deux (shown below)

Jack Russell Terrier




Like I said... I love dalmatians.

Love them?  Hate them?  Want more? Wondering where are Maddie's posts?

Until next time,
me

9 comments:

  1. Love your drawings. Yes more please.

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOW! Those are amazing! You are quite the artist! I was slightly obsessed with 101 Dalmatians for years, and now my little boy plays with my old dalmatian figurines.

    ReplyDelete
  3. thanks! christina - that is my all time favorite movie! i begged my mom for YEARS to let me have a dalmatian... and i still have just about every stuffed animal at home haha!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh they are just great! Nice to see your post, too... but where is Maddie? Do you draw her?

    ReplyDelete
  5. elle - i'm working on drawing Maddie! i think she has so much character and is so animated, it would be fun to draw her :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Those are awesome! I think I remember Pongo and Lucky. Keep it up! Maddie would make an awesome character. We need to do a cartoon with her and Grace. Blackie and Whitie? HAHA!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Holy crap, Mollie, those are awesome! I had no idea you were such a good artist! No wonder you went crazy over that dalmatian we saw.

    ReplyDelete
  8. M said the "real" Dalmatian puppy pic is "F'in Good!" Don't worry, he actually said F'in. And, he said you have a natural gift!

    ReplyDelete